What Microsoft Could do to Make Writing a Word Add-in Easier and
Having just gone through the pain of learning all (most?)
of the undocumented issues and problems with writing a Word add-in,
here are my suggestions for what Microsoft could do to both make the
process easier and to make it possible to write a more solid program.
Could do Today – Word Group
- Provide a work-around for the bug in Find.Execute.
- Extend the shim program to provide error messages when it cannot
load the associated add-in.
- Authenticode sign extensibility.dll
- Authenticode sign the Office 2002 PIAs
- Provide the Office 2000 PIAs. Strong name and authenticode sign
- Provide a .msm installer for extensibility.dll & all three sets of
PIAs (Office 2000, 2002, & 2003).
- Allow Office 2003 PIAs to be installed by an add-in installer.
Could do Today – Other Groups
- Provide both a .msi and .msm for installing sqldmo & associated
- Act appropiately if Sql Server client already installed
- List out the exceptions shdocvw.dll will throw (and
catch) if you are using it properly. As it throws
there is no way to know if a given exception
is due to a problem, or to be expected.
Next Version – Word Group
- Provide an event just before the main menu will
display a drop down menu from one of the
main menu items.
- Fix the bug in Find.Execute.
- Fix the bug where menu objects are suddenly not
connected to the menu COM object underneath.
- Eliminate the need for the shim.
- Provide a call to get the top application
window. Normally this is OpusApp
but when running in
Outlook, it is
Next Version – Other Groups
- Provide a pure managed code solution
to place IE in a form (shdocvw.dll).
- Provide sqldmo equivilents for
other database to enumerate
on the network
databases on a server.
- Eliminate the handled exceptions
- Provide a pure managed code
solution for sqldmo.dll.
as you can’t pass a Control for the
parent window in an add-in.
- When adding an existing
file to a Visual Studio
copy it. (This is needed as you need to have an identical project
for your add-in for each version of Word.)